Confessions of a Junk Food Junkie

Confessions of a Junk Food Junkie

Friday, May 21, 2010

Breaking up with a hair product is hard to do! (Especially when it smells so darn good!)

I had a love in my life.

I had a soul mate.

Moroccan Oil.



We've been the best of friends for about a year now and my hair has never felt (and smelled) better. But, a dark blanket has been cast over our relationship and I am sad to say we may be ending our friendship forever.

See, I have been battling BAD acne the past few months, for virtually the first time in my life (I know, I know, smack me). I've had mild acne a few times in my mid twenties, but at that time I was treated with a harsh, burning cream and antibiotics, which did clear things up quickly. But I have never had anything this bad, or for this long. What have I done to bring this on?

Well, I've never had the best diet and every once in a while I get a nice smack upside the head and realize maybe it's time to get serious again and eat the way I know I should. So, in celebration of this latest smack, I have tried every acne product I can think of, including Proactiv, Differin, Burt's Bees acne formula, Cetaphil, etc. Right now I am using BeautiControl.

As for my diet, I have cut out sugar, gluten and coffee (to name a few). I have gone to my Naturopath and had all my hormones, insulin levels, and every other thing tested, including my digestive system, which all came up negative for any issues.

I have looked up virtually every product I use, food or beverage I consume, and any other stray thing I can think of, to see if anything in my daily routine is linked in any way to acne. Well, guess what? I have found some information about my so called 'friend,' Moroccan Oil and I am sad to say, not only is the product not what I thought it was, but it HAS been said to cause acne or make existing acne worse. Which makes sense to anyone with half a brain (not me), as it is an OIL that is soaking into your scalp, and hair which lives right next door to, and in some cases, ON your face! Apparently, OIL + OIL = NOT GOOD. Imagine that!

One blog I found,Pink Sith, reviewing our friend, Moroccan Oil, talks all about it's poopie origins (no, I am not kidding... Goat poop, to be exact.) It is truly ewie. Another site I found, talked about how putting an oil all over you might not be the best thing ever for your skin. Yes, real rocket science stuff here.

Also, supporting what I have already known for many years, but was trying hard to be in denial about, I found this great website, Dherbs.com, which discusses natural acne prevention. I have read many, MANY articles on natural acne prevention and this is the best one I have come across so far.



So, if you've had or are having the same issues I am, well I hope you find your solution and I would love to hear how you kicked it! I am still searching, but in the meantime, Moroccan Oil and I are like Ross & Rachel... "On a BREAK!" (as well as most other things I enjoy in this life!)

Getting a facial today and I'm hoping, at the very least, that I will feel a little bit human again.

Happy Eating (and clear skinning) to you all!

Confessions of a Junk Food Junkie on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment